Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Inspirational Runners - Simon Whitfield Edition

Right about now we are in the midst of the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London. I love it! Watching these impeccable athletes - talk about motivation. Last post I wrote about Caster Semenya, the South African 800-metre star. This time I need to write about a Canadian - I'm Canadian - Simon Whitfield is Canadian.


Simon Whitfield is a triathlete. He swims 1.5km, cycles 43km, and runs 10km. There is a teeny tiny part of me that thinks I could complete a triathlon someday...if I could swim. 


In Sydney (2000) Whitfield won the gold medal. I actually remember watching this event, or at least a re-cap of this event, and feeling so proud to be Canadian. The race finish was just so epic, I had to find it and post it here - "Simon Whitfield Wins Gold". At 1.26 on the video, Whitfield is in third place. At 2.17, he is in second place. By 2.49, he's tied for the lead. The race gets a bit intense around 3.44 as Whitfield falls back a bit, but at 4.33, he flies past Stephan Vuckovic of Germany to win GOLD! In Beijing, he won silver. If he medals in London, he'll be the only triathlete to win a medal in three summer Olympic games. Whitfield was the flag bearer for the Canadian Olympic team - fitting as 2012 is likely to be Whitfield's final Olympic games; here's hoping he goes out with a bang!


Whitfield completed his first triathlon at age 11. I can just imagine how that went..."O, you just completed a triathlon? O, you're only 11? No big deal, really!" AS IF! Another "No Big Deal, Really" topic - Whitfield's Training Schedule: 7.5km swim, 100km bike ride, and a 40km run. Like I said, no big deal, really. HOLY CRAP!


If I didn't think this dude was cool enough, I just read in the brief biography on his website that he donates regularly to charity. He runs and donates to charity. I run and donate to charity. At the very least, you should donate to charity too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment