Friday, July 20, 2012

Marathon Cupcakes - Sweet Pea

I recently started watching Cupcake Wars, a reality baking show on the Food Network. As I comfied (I'm an English Major; I get to make up words) myself on my futon and began streaming the latest episode of my new television addiction, I was thrilled to find that the show's theme was the L.A. Marathon.

Honestly, the best part of the sweat and the stink and the pain is the FOOD that I can eat without gaining a pound. I pretend to wonder why I'm not losing any weight while doing all of this constant exercise, but I know exactly why I'm not; I'm a glutton. It doesn't help that after a cardio session the human body craves sugar (I'm not making that up; my doctor said so) and I have a ridiculous sweet tooth. Enter marathon-themed cupcakes!

Pea Cupcake with Goat Cheese Frosting

Cupcake:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 cups peas, pureed
2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
Blend eggs and sugar until well mixed. Add oil, vanilla, lemon juice, and peas. Mix. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix. Bake at 375 F for 14-16 minutes or until a cake tester (you could use a toothpick) comes out clean. Set aside to cool. 


Frosting:
2 cups (15 ounces) fresh goat cheese
3/4 cup (6 ounces) cream cheese
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Blend cheeses well first and then add sugar. 


Peas are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetables rich in phyto-nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and anti-oxidants.

Don't knock 'em until you try 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment