Sunday, May 20, 2012

Plyometrics a.k.a. Imma kick your panties off!

Plyometrics basically means Jump Training. The last time I did the P90X Plyometrics workout I could barely walk for about three days following the workout. I also wasn't training for a half marathon.

I've determined that my main issue with long distance running is that my legs get sore really quickly. I don't get out of breath and I know how to take care of side stitches, but my leg strength just isn't cutting it. I figure plyo at least once a week will help build my leg strength considerably.

To start, the ten minute warm-up is enough to make me reconsider doing the workout even once a week. There's another fifty minutes after that to get through. Just for fun and games I'm going to share with you the names of the exercises (or torture techniques) that comprise the P90X Plyometrics workout.
Set 1:
Jump Squats - 30 seconds
Run Stance Squats - 30 seconds
Airborne Heisman - 30 seconds
Swing Kicks - 1 minute
...and then you do it all over again!
Set 2:
Squat Reach Jumps - 30 seconds
Squat Switch Pickups - 30 seconds
Double Airbourne Heisman - 30 seconds
Circle Run - 1 minute
...and one more time!
Set 3:
Jump Knee Tucks - 30 seconds
Mary Katherine Lunges - 30 seconds
Leapfrog Squats - 30 seconds
Twist Combo - 30 seconds
...repeat!
Set 4: 
Rock Star Hops - 30 seconds
Gap Jumps - 30 seconds
Squat Jacks - 30 seconds
Military March - 1 minute
...again!
Set 5:
Run Squat 180 Jump Switches - 30 seconds
Lateral Leapfrog Squats - 30 seconds
Monster Truck Tires - 30 seconds
Hot Foot - 1 minute
...you guessed it, once is never enough!
Bonus Round
Pitch and Catch - 1 minute
Jump Shots - 1 minute
Football Hero - 1 minute
...as you can see these are all 1 minute exercises so I guess no repetition is necessary.

Let's see, I did the workout on Friday; it is now Sunday and it hurts to sit. It hurts to stand. It hurts to touch most parts of my legs and butt. I should be all healed up just in time to do next week's workout. Seriously, that in and of itself deserves a donation!

To quote Tony Horton, creator of P90X:
"If you're doing plyometrics you can jump higher and run faster and your heart and lungs are going to kick the panties off of any body else who tries to get out there without it." - Talk about motivation!




No comments:

Post a Comment