Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Running in Ottawa - WUSC's Leadership Meeting

So I came into work at 8:00 a.m. instead of 8:30 a.m. today so that I could take lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (a half hour longer than usual). I needed a longer lunch so that I could do the 55 minute run required by my half marathon training schedule at lunch instead of after work like I usually do.

Here's why:

Gemma and I are heading to Winnipeg tonight (a 2-hour drive) to shack up in the Victoria Inn located 1.5K (says Google Maps) from Winnipeg International Airport. Tomorrow morning our flight to Ottawa leaves at 8:50 a.m. We arrive at Ottawa International Airport at 2:09 p.m. At that point we have to find our way either by city transit or taxi to the University of Ottawa's Residence Complex. We're staying in Marchand Residence and then busing to and from l'Universite du Quebec en Outaouais (sorry, I don't know how to get the little accents over the letters) every day for the Leadership Meeting sessions.

I can't wait!

If you haven't noticed, I love all things WUSC. I've attended the International Forum, held in November, three times now, but I have yet to attend a Leadership Meeting. We're going to spend 3 days - Friday, Saturday, Sunday - talking and acting on all things WUSC: campaigns including the Student Refugee Program (that's the campaign that I am running to raise money for - hence the connection to this blog), international volunteering, and taking action to change the world!

In the midst of all of the wonderful WUSCness, I need to fit in some training. Our days are pretty full with sessions scheduled from 8:30 a.m. until 7:30 p.m. Apparently the Fitness Centre at the UofO is only open from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday to Friday and closed Saturday and Sunday so that is not very helpful. I'm going to have to run outside...now just to find the time. Thursday is supposed to be 45 to 60 minutes of Cross-Training which would normally include an elliptical run, a stationary bike ride, weights, and core exercises. The only thing I'm likely going to be able to do of those things is core...hmm...I shall have to get creative. I'm supposed to do a 60-minute run on Saturday and a 40-minute run on Sunday - those may prove to be a bit more difficult...perhaps I can run around the airport.

I'm pretty sure I won't have time to blog while I am in my nation's capital, but I will fill you all in when I return all pumped up and inspired and ready to keep changing the world. Spending four days (I'm counting Thursday) with people that care as much about international development and specifically WUSC as I do is going to be incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment