Thursday, June 6, 2013

6 Month Hiatus

Can you believe it's been 6 months since I ran the half marathon in Vegas?! I had to look back at my posts to see if I had mentioned the fact that I had a foot injury when I did the half. I had mentioned it so I'll just give a little update on that situation. After 4 months of not running and experiencing constant pain in my left foot and 4 months of biweekly physio therapy with minimal betterment, my doctor ordered a bone scan. The results were inconclusive, but my doctor educatedly guessed that I must have had a stress fracture. No wonder I was in constant pain every time I put pressure on my foot.

I tried running again after about 4 months of not and what a disheartening day that was. I quickly realised that running a solid 10 km with very little effort was a thing of the past. I could barely run 2 km without gasping for breath. I was right back to where I had started, so being the trooper that I am not, I gave up for a while, wallowed in self pity, and licked my wounds all the while keeping in the back of my mind that I had signed up to do a 5 km run with my sister at the beginning of July.

I vowed that I would pull myself out of my wallowing pit as of June 1st. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being my best effort, I would give myself a 6 at this point. June 1st, I walked 5 km. June 2nd, I walked 1 km, jogged 1 km, walked 1 km, jogged 1 km, walked 1 km. June 4th, I walked 5 km. I'm getting there...

On July 6, my sister and I and a few of her friends are doing the Color Me Rad 5K Run in Edmonton, Alberta. Running the strip at night is one thing, but Color Me Rad is just plain crazy! See:


I never really do anything in my life without WUSC in the back of my mind so I changed my fundraising page to reflect my newest endeavour and really hope that you'll visit, learn a little bit about why I hold the Student Refugee Program so near and dear to my heart, and maybe even donate!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear that you're back in commission, Brandy and out there running again! Much success to you, your sister and friends in the upcoming race!

    I really like your blog, Brandy. I've been so busy and seldom have the time to read blogs the way I would truly like to. I think the advantage to not having a lot of followers is being able to get back to people and concentrate on their blog. I'm trying to work out a system.

    The thing I like about your blog is you sharing your life and about you; it really gives your blog purpose and meaning. When I do get back to your blog, I really like hearing about your life.

    I hope to come back soon! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Enjoy your life, Brandy!

    ReplyDelete